20 September, 2005

If it wasn't for the BBC...

I would be so culturally unaware.

I got my fix of other cultures today (and now i feel good about myself) by clicking a link to an article which was about a new muslim faith centre being opened today somewhere in Britain (probably Cardiff) and Cat Stevens has the honour of opening it. His name isn't Cat anymore of course, it's Yusuf. Yusuf Islam. Every article you read about him has to contain the obligatory "previously known as..." or "formerly known as..." or to a lesser extent, "the artist formerly known as...". He's never going to get away from his past life.

I learned today that Cat, i mean, Yusuf, no I do mean Cat, became a muslim in 1977. Cat is one of the good guys - a moderate muslim. Lets forget the little problem of his [alleged]* funding of middle eastern terrorist groups.

Look, he's a moderate! ok? He is a fine figurehead for moderate muslims. Along with all those other moderates the media refers to who support the killing of innocent jews. Centre director

Sophie Gilliat-Ray said Cardiff was an ideal location for the venture because the city was home to one of the oldest Muslim communities in Britain. "Few people know that the first mosque in the UK was established in Cardiff in 1860," she said.

Wow, that's a long time ago. Maybe only "few" people know that fact because it isn't really relevant to the lives of the average briton in 2005.

Singer Islam opens faith centre

I think i'll go and impress people with my cardiff mosque knowledge now to show how culturally aware i am.

*I inserted [alleged] last. You can never be too careful.

I still haven't written the article promised in the last post. Be patient!

1 comment: